Instituted by Adolf Hitler in 1939 until 1941, the West Wall Medal was to recognize personnel who defended, built or planned fortifications on the western German border. It was re-issued in late 1944 in anticipation of the allied approach on the Western Front. Constructed of die struck tombac, the oval medal features the national eagle surrounded by an oak leaf wreath. Below the embossed national eagle, a crossed sword and shovel with concrete bunker below. Inscribed on the reverse, “Für Arbeit sum Schutze Deutschlands” translates to “For Work on the Defences of Germany”. A period original rayon ribbon is attached by loop and suspension ring. Furthermore the original paper packet remains in tact, featuring the maker stamp “Carl Poellath Schrobenhausen” on the reverse. Additionally, the packet’s tissue is included which was regularly discarded. A complete example of a West Wall medal that can not be upgraded.