The War Merit Cross, also known as the KVK, was instituted by Adolf Hitler in October of 1939. Offered to civilians (without swords), and soldiers (with swords), the medal was awarded for furthering the war effort or exceptional service outside of combat. Additionally, it was awarded in four degrees / classes. Constructed of die struck alloy, the maltese cross medal features a static swastika with crossed swords. Inscribed on the reverse, “1939”. A period original rayon ribbon is attached by loop and suspension ring connecting to the top of the cross.
Additionally the medal is accompanied by it’s original paper packet, featuring the maker stamp “Klein & Quenzer” on the reverse. Furthermore the paper packet’s tissue is included which was regularly discarded. Included with the award is a period double medal bar with wool pin backing.
Lastly, the grouping is completed by the soldier’s award document issued to Obergefreiten Karl Lauer. The award document issued by the Führer Headquarters, features Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel’s signature (may be facsimile). Dated September 1942, it is impossible to tell what unit Karl served in as the award was issued outside his native unit. An exceptional and complete grouping.