Dressed in blue uniforms and white veils, the Nursing Sisters quickly earned the nickname of “bluebirds”caring for sick and wounded soldiers during the First World War. Among their eye catching pieces of uniform was their belt. Crudely made during the beginning of the war in a rush to meet needs, by war’s end a more refined version would appear that would see service until just after the Korean War with very little changes. Purchased directly from family, the belt is named to E. J. McIntosh of Guelph, a graduate nurse who enlisted in the Nursing Sisters July of 1918 serving until June of 1919.
McIntosh served at the Sarcee Isolation Hospital in Calgary, ultimately falling ill herself but luckily surviving. The leather belt remains soft and supple, with minor patina on the buckle itself. The reverse is maker marked to William Scully of Montreal while the inside of the belt is named to McIntosh and what appears to be 1918. The name “A. Bury” can also be found written as well, but with no explanation as to it’s origins. A beautiful example of a late war Nursing Sister Belt, sure to complete any Medical Corps collection. Further information regarding McIntosh’s record can be found following the link above under the tab “Service Record”.